And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night: He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people. Exodus 13:21-22
It's 11pm, the house is quiet, as all members enjoy sweet dreams....except me. I just woke up really well for the first time since 10am this morning. Since it is another hour before I can do something for the pain, thought I'd use this time to update my blog.
4-5 am
It began early with DH juicing my post surgery needs. I've learned to eat lightly the day before, follow anesethia guidelines the morning of and just juice the rest of the day post surgery.
7am
Off we go, DH, Inventor, Cat Lover, Rocket and I. Quiet time as we drive the 2 hours to town. Psalm 40 is my comfort today.
Inventor leaves us at the hospital and heads out on important errands. The front desk quickly swallows me up and my prep nurse helps me don the latest in hospital fashion. My veins run and hide and it takes hydrotherapy and 3 attempts before they get a good vein. Now we wait, Dr. G is finishing up an early case and she is scheduled to go first. Drs. H & B are ready to go. Dr. H has marked me up and initialed her work on my skin. Dr B tells me when I get done, I'll be able to write a novel. I tell Dr. H she has a lot of prayer support this morning.
OR nurse stops by, she was a highshool classmate of DH. She wants to make sure I'm ok with her in the room. We visit..it's comforting to know some one on the OR team. My preop nurse from 5 weeks ago stops by to say hi. She is a sweet lady. Off we go to surgery.
"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For thou art with me." With a pray of thanks I slip off to sleep.
Ouch Ouch, OUCH. Not a nice way to wake up 3 hours later. My nurse starts in on pain management, X-rays and trying to get me to stop trembling from cold as that makes my pain worse. I drift in and out. It's rough this time and I don't want DH to see me like this. As pain management kicks in, a new problem, I'm apparently allergic to one of the meds given. Itching and scratching like a cat with fleas is no fun. More adjustments...I drift in and out. DH comes in and works with me. I am blessed by his presence.
He tells me all three docs sat down with him together. Only at My Town! Dr. H explains that because of the previous margins, she was following the trail of the cancer which was away from chest wall. Think of a pie. She took a football shaped piece from the crust all the way to the middle. That is certainly good mental news for us. We totally understand that there are free cells wandering around trying to find a new home. But we will focus on hope! Dr. B explains about my expander, all the docs like the idea of having extra skin to work with and having it off the chest wall. The expander which can be inflated or deflated will assist the radiation oncologist as well. Dr. G goes over the port placement. The guys can carry my backpack this year. And I'll also be able to use the port for some natural therapies later this year.
Pastor stops by, come to find out he arrived just as DH came out the doors from sending me off to
surgery. His being there with DH was such a blessing. My nurse recognizes the pastor, come to find out, he is a believer too. What comfort as they both pray with me.
Then another cancer partner stops by. We have been trying to connect for a month. When my nurse found out I knew her he went and called her. What a blessing to visit with her, she offers wise
council on charting an independent course through the maze of options, based on what God calls us to do.
By the time, DH arrives back to take me home, my heart is filled to overflowing with the goodness of God.
Sleep calls,
Happy Sabbath
No comments:
Post a Comment